Gastric Sleeve Benefits
The Gastric sleeve has many benefits including:
- A possible reduction in hunger
- By removing a large portion of the stomach, the hunger inducing hormone ghrelin is reduced. Reduced hunger is a potential benefit that many patients achieve, but not all.
- Less time under anesthesia because of a shorter operating time
- Intestines are not re-routed
- Dumping syndrome does not occur.
- Compared to the bypass, the pylorus remains intact after a sleeve gastrectomy, which gives sugars time to digest, avoiding dumping syndrome.
- Weight is lost over 18 months.
- An average of 60% of excess weight is lost.