Obalon Gastric Balloon Information
The Obalon Balloon System is the first swallowable intragastric balloon system indicated for temporary use to facilitate weight loss in adults with obesity (BMI of 30 –40 kg/m2)who have failed to lose weight through diet and exercise. This nonsurgical, fully-reversible device for weight loss consists of a balloon folded inside a capsule that is swallowed by the patient, with no sedation or anesthesia required. Once the balloon reaches the stomach, it is remotely inflated with gas via a micro-catheter that is then removed, leaving a lightweight, buoyant balloon in the stomach. Each administration is less than 10 minutes on average. The balloon is roughly the size of a small orange, or 250 cubic centimeters.
- Each balloon placement is done at an Imaging Center in Los Angeles, typically taking less than 10 minutes, with no downtime
- Swallowable capsule contains the balloon and allows for placement without the need for sedation
- Thin, flexible microcatheter facilitates balloon inflation and is gently removed after each placement, leaving the inflated balloon behind
- Two additional balloons will be placed gradually over 3 months to maximize patient tolerability and facilitate progressive weight loss
- Lightweight, buoyant balloons, residing in the top of the stomach, are designed for patient comfort
- All balloons must be removed 6 months after the first balloon is placed
All 3 balloons are removed by a brief, approximately 15-minute outpatient endoscopic procedure, which is performed under light, conscious sedation.